Saturday, February 20, 2016

Preponderance of Evidence

This is Saturday when for the most part people should be out enjoying the Spring like weather.  Even now it is 50°.  It's also 6:00 AM so more than enough time to get out there and walk some.  Mary and I went to see the movie Arisen yesterday and my summation on the movie is that there is no summation.  You have to determine, as we did, if you want to go see it.  As in the Evanston Theater that I went to, if you are a senior citizen you have to mention it or they will charge you full price.  White hair and a foot long beard to match is no proof of seniorship. 



Life this past week has put me in a reflective state that just possibly with so many different and divergent viewpoints on so many different subjects perhaps we don't get our purpose in life or the other half of that is there is no purpose.  I had a brilliant discussion with a 19 yr. old young woman on the criminal justice system outside at the picnic table this afternoon.  She told me she was a very good cook.  To which I agreed, "You are a very good cook."  To which she said, "that's not what I said, I said I read a very good book."  I say something to the effect that Mary would say I need my hearing checked.  She agreed.  My friend's 'very good book" was an expose on the criminal justice system and it's failing merits in virtually its entirety.  She knows who I am, having been my neighbor at least 17 out of her 19 years of existence.  She seems well versed in her points of contention most of which I agree with.  What to do about them is what everybody running for President is talking about.  One being, do we offer free college programs to educate prisoners and all the benefits that they would produce in less recidivism, less crime, more marketable skills, etc.  versus say my daughter's costly tuition that we paid for her to go to Miami of Ohio.  She not having robbed, stolen or sold dope to get that college education.  Our conversation was interrupted by other facets of life to be continued, much like my long awaited pie she is going to bake me for having quit smoking 18 months ago.



Arisen, is a movie about Jesus Crucifixion through the eyes of a Roman Soldier who witnessed it.  Now he has to reconcile what he saw versus what he is seeing un ravel right before his very eyes.  Even given the premise that he was there it still is a stretch to believe a man you just killed is up and walking around again.  I mean this isn't the age of modern medical miracles.  Now for you and I who weren't there, we too are presented with the same story to believe or not to believe.  Someone called in to WMBI the other day and stated that she, a woman, had been to a bible study the night before and a man said that a person has to read the Bible from beginning to end before they can go to heaven.  What about the thief on the right, or was it the left who Jesus said I tell you from this day forward you will be with me in Paradise.  He, the thief, had no degree from Moody, free tuition or otherwise.

Way to often I am being cajoled (at 71 years old I might add) to believe this, focus on that, Christians should do this, all under the onslaught of verse and scripture. And I'm wondering would it not have been better and easier if I was the thief on the cross and didn't have to earn my way to heaven and it says I can't but everybody else thinks I better.



STRIVING TO BE PERFECT:  No offense intended but Weight Loss proponents are overwhelming in their pronunciations of what we need to do to stay healthy.  They all sound like the Beer Commercial of years gone by MORE TASTE, LESS FILLING.  They throw guilt around like confetti hoping to shame you into submission.  But what about Harper Lee the noted Author who seemingly wrote one book and who I thought had died since she wrote the book in the middle of the Civil War,

What were her eating habits, and how did she raise her kids since she didn't have the benefit of Dr. James Dobson, who finally silenced him by the way.  And then there is my friend Margaret who recently died with no maladies from eating as far as I had heard. 



What I am coming to conclude is that comedians are authorities on what is politically correct and therefore are more in the know of who should be President than anybody else.  The media are mere color commentators like sports announcers at a game who delight in telling you what is happening down on the field while you are glued to the TV and are to ignorant to determine yourself what is happening on the field.  In summation it sounds like it might come down to what I was always told was not how it was, but it sure seems that way. 



MIGHT IS RIGHT or at least the vestige imagine is until someone comes along and strips it out of the hands of the conveyer of modern day truth.  That is why everyone is afraid of Donald Trump, everyone hates him, hates what he stands for hates what he says he is going to do, hates how he is going about it. everyone that is except the Majority.  And in this game majority wins.  So all that to say there are no rules.  They change the rules all the time to fit their hand and unless you are a major player in the game you have to sit on the sideline and watch. 

No comments: