Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Attending a funeral from prison

There are no absolutes in prison anywhere. Just a soon as you say this is how it is, bam, somewhere else handles it entirely differently. Funerals are no exception. If I was to attend my sisters funeral the first thing that would have to happen would be that I would have to be approved by the administration, probably a captain, my caseworker and possibly the Chaplain. I would need medium security at best, which I amazingly had. The second thing I would need to be able to do is afford the trip, one that I would have to pay for. I would also pay the way for the guard that would be traveling with me, plus his housing at a hotel, plus any overtime that he would incur. Most men can't afford these costs and neither could I.

Hanging around the Chaplain's office after hearing the news offered minimal consoling. The Chaplain and Catholic Priest moaned that they wished there was something they could do. In walked Staff Psychologist Jim Woods. Mr Woods was a congenial enough fellow, always with a smile and something uplifting to say. I had done him a favor in times past by reading onto a cassette a very technical text book that a fellow psychologist and friend needed to have to take a particular course. The problem was that he was blind. My help enabled him to listen to his course studies thus being able to take the course.

Mr. Woods could see the devestation written all over everyones faces and asked what the problem was. Mr. Woods went into the office with Chaplain Beherens and Father Jones. When he came out he walked right out of the office not saying a word. Chaplain Beherens with a smile on his face said, "We got the money." Some things you don't ask questions about, you just go with the flow, and if I had the money then I had the money.

5 comments:

Beth said...

What an awesome story you left on my blog post! Thanks for stopping by...Sara's music is a great blessing in so many ways. This latest song is just fun - but much of her other work is deeply heart-stirring.

So glad to make your bloggy acquaintance!

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Thank you so very much for telling me about Sara's music! I will definitely pass that along!

So nice to 'meet' you, I hope to 'speak' with you again soon!

Happy Holidays!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the story you left on Crazy Adventure's blog! Noone's music touches my heart like Sara's does. Would you mind if I posted it on my blog?

www.themommylogues.blogspot.com

in time out said...

thanks for sharing. i really appreciated the feeling that came from the words you left on my site. i am sorry for your losses. may god bless you.

Beverly said...

I read your comment over at Putz's blog and came by. Your story is very interesting. I'll be interested in hearing more about your ministry as you blog.